Gov. Ricketts On Sports Guidelines June 1st
(GI Little League/Facebook) On Sunday night, we held a board meeting to discuss plans for the future of our baseball and softball season. At this meeting we came to the — unfortunate — unanimous decision that we are going to not have a summer baseball or softball season in Grand Island. A few notes that went into our decision making and questions you may have we will try to answer below:
1. Cases in our community continue to grow — 954 as of Monday’s update. When we posted our survey update asking for feedback, we were hopeful that we may see a decline in cases with a hope of Hall County possibly getting a Phase 1 reopening by mid-May. We no longer think that is the case.
2. Many cases we see are people in the age ranges who will want to come to our games: 50 cases up to age 19 and in the parent ranges for ages 20-49 we have 492 cases.
3. Had we been able to get to Phase 1 by mid-May we would have to had 28 days of declines and then a mid-June start date was possible. With the data we continue to see we don’t think Grand Island will have a chance at Phase 3 (when we could justifiably have a game) until just after July 1st on a best case scenario.
4. This reality left us with no other choice but to not have a season and we stand behind this based on the current status of how the Coronavirus is affecting our community.
5. Thinking long-term about the beginning of the school year we did not want to do anything that may jeopardize the return to school. Some things are more important than Little League.
6. We are hopeful that if there is some normalcy that returns in July that we may be able to work with some some local baseball and softball organizations to have some free camps and clinics for our players.
7. REFUNDS: We are committed to refunding entry fees to all participants and families. As we work through this we will be in touch. There is a possibility that card fees and the $3 registration fee and not refunded but all else will be.
We are hopeful we can get everything back but will be in communication via this page and e-mail on how this process will work. It is our hope we can get this all completed in the next 2-3 weeks. Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to having a wonderful season in 2021. Stay home. Do your part. We are all in this together.